Sharp FX are one of the top creature and makeup FX studios in Australia and are one of the few companies currently working in the industry to offer in-house FX courses.
In the Advanced Prosthetic Makeup Effects Course students learn the skills needed to start a career in the exciting industry of special makeup effects. Including both silicone and foam prosthetics, this course is designed to give students the knowledge and understanding they need to create prosthetic makeup effects guided by an industry professional. Covering all aspects of creating a multi-piece prosthetic, this is the most comprehensive prosthetic makeup effects course Australia wide.
How long does the course go for?
The course is held on Saturday (Adelaide) or Sunday (Melbourne) from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm for 22 lessons.
Where is the course held?
Melbourne – Unit 1/2 Regal Drive Springvale, Victoria, Australia.
Adelaide – 31 Aberdeen St, Port Adelaide, South Australia.
Who teaches the course?
The course is taught by Russell Sharp, a working professional with over 20 years’ experience in the film, television and theme park industries.
Russell’s credits include: Prey, The Dark Lurking, Ghost Rider, House Of Wax, Anacondas, Troy, The Matrix 2 & 3, Babe 2, Queen of the Damned and The Hobbit Trilogy.
Are there any prerequisites or age limits for the course?
You do not need to have any previous special makeup effects experience.
Due to the level of maturity required to perform many workshop tasks, we prefer students to be over 18 years old.
How many students are in a class?
We take no more than 12 students for the course.
What do you get at the end of the course?
Graduate students will receive a certificate of completion from Sharp FX and all photos of their work on a CD.
Is the course accredited?
This is a private course, which doesn’t offer an accredited qualification, you will receive a certificate of completion from Sharp FX Pty Ltd.
The course is not restricted by accreditation. In an industry which bases employment heavily on portfolio, this course is all hands on with no theory or written exams. Taught by someone who is currently working in the industry who offers the most up to date knowledge at industry standards.
When does the course start and what is the cost?
Please contact us for dates and payment plan details.
• Prosthetic character design
• Selecting the best model
• 2D to 3D
• Understanding products – plasters,
latex, silicone, urethanes, resins
• Making & applying a bald cap
• Full head cast
• Preparing life cast for sculpting
• Sculpting a prosthetic makeup
• Bulking up sculpture
• Smoothing sculpture
• Making & using texture stamps
• Sculpting skin texture & detailing
• Creating a multi-piece prosthetic
• Separating a multi-piece prosthetic
• Snap moulds in plaster & alginate
• Positive mould creation
• Mould keys, walling up, under cuts
• Creating a blend edge
• Prosthetic flashing & cutting edge
• Negative moulds & multi-piece moulds
• De-moulding & cleaning
• Mould prep
• Running foam latex
• Foam latex injecting
• Removing seams
• Pre-painting & airbrushing
• Silicone vs Foam: Benefits & limitations
• Creating a single piece silicone prosthetic
• Moulding silicone prosthetics
• Running silicone prosthetics
• Pre-painting silicone prosthetics
• Silicone prosthetic application
• Hair punching vs. hair laying vs. hair knotting
• Multi-piece foam latex prosthetic application
• Photographing your prosthetic character
• Importance of a photographic portfolio
Testimonials from Previous Students:
NOW TAKING ENROLMENTS FOR 2020
PLACES ARE STRICTLY LIMITED!
How to Enrol:
To register your interest in the course, please fill out the form below or contact us on 0412 887 154
Please specify which course you are interested in, Adelaide or Melbourne.